Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Lunch as a Spectator Sport

Here is the notice I posted yesterday to my social network chums about my lunch:

Tragic, yet tasty.
Here are my thoughts today.

Day 2 of eating a salad composed of "stuff in my fridge that I eat so it doesn't rot and I don't starve". Again: Spinach Leaves, sliced tomato, Persian cucumber, and strawberries. A co-worker walked around in the break room, studying my salad from every angle like it was some unknown creature break-dancing on the countertop. She asked me what kind of dressing I put on it. I said none and she conceded: "Oh just the juices from the tomato, huh?" Uh... sure. (it is kinda slimy, so I suppose that's kind of a dressing.)

1) Just b/c I eat healthy (sometimes) doesn't mean that's why I'm small. I'm small because of genetics and metabolism. Don't hate me for my size and don't congratulate me on 'eating so well'. I have a huge pack of ramen on standby. It is what it is. Some people live to eat. I usually eat so my blood sugar doesn't drop and I don't start shaking like a salt shaker all over the place.
2) I am not a health guru, so no need to take notes from my meals. Even when I throw out convincing phrases like "the sweetness of the strawberries counteracts the bitter spinach leaves".
3) If I have a salad composed of things that grow in nature, it's not necessary to throw 'dressing' on it. I'm not even sure what dressing really is and plus, I have 4 food items in my salad. That's a lot of flavor on its own... why throw processed gunk in there?
4) Why does eating at work have to be so complicated? Everyone comments on your lunch like they are commenting on the weather. I just wanna eat so I don't die, yo. And then I'm gonna go out in whatever weather we've got today, not caring what the meteorologists say will happen later this week. I know these topics are deemed "safe", but they get rather trite. I DO remember once truthfully answering "not good" when asked how a recent holiday had gone. MWAHAHAHAHA The next time they asked, they remembered to really give a crap about the answer ;)

2 comments:

  1. Look, people in an office HAVE to comment. It's like the whole ecosystem in an office environment. Comment or the world will come to an end. Comment about my shirt. Comment about my hair. Comment that I'm not smiling and try to make me tell you my problems. Comment that I'm being a bitch. Comment that I was really nice last week. Comment that my mole is now on the other side of my face.

    Comment or die.

    Survival of the fittest. Next time, comment on them and turn the conversation around. The ecosystem of the environment will thank you.

    (Comment given.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Michelle, they say 'weather blah blah blah' but what I really hear is 'Oh my god, I hate being stuck in a building all day with a bunch of shirts when I'd like to be almost anywhere but here. Why am I feeding into capitalism when I really want to be a graceful lion on the the Savannah and destroy these antelope?'

      Is that about right? lol

      Delete